Blog: Blue Bell Creameries 'to face federal investigation over listeria outbreak'
Hannah Abdulla | 6 January 2016
Blue Bell Creameries was caught up in a listeria outbreak in early 2015
The US Department of Justice has reportedly launched an investigation into ice cream maker Blue Bell Creameries following the death of three people after a listeria outbreak last year that was linked to its products.
According to The Wall Street Journal, government lawyers are investigating what Blue Bell executives knew about listeria at the company's plants and in batches of its products, as well as the way management handled the outbreak.
A news report from CBS claimed: "Records indicated that the company knew one plant was contaminated at least as early as 2013."
Blue Bell had not responded to a request for comment at the time of publication.
The outbreak led to three deaths and ten cases of sickness and saw Blue Bell initiate a recall of all of its products. In June the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention closed its probe into the outbreak after it revealed the listeria outbreak dated back to 2010.
Blue Bell started a phased distribution of its ice cream products in August.
In September, the former CEO of Peanut Corporation of America, Stewart Parnell, was sentenced to a 28-year jail term over his role in the company's 2008-9 salmonella outbreak that killed nine people and sickened 714 others.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review