Blog: Boulder expands in foodservice with Pizza Hut tie-up
Katy Askew | 14 January 2015
Boulder Brands is expanding its Udi's brand in the foodservice channel through a tie-up that will bring two varieties of gluten-free pizza to Pizza Hut outlets throughout the US.
Pizza Hut gluten-free pizza will be co-branded with Udi's and will be available in cheese and pepperoni.
The move reflects continued demand growth for gluten-free products as greater numbers of consumers in the US are diagnosed with Coeliac disease or adopt a gluten-free diet for perceived health and wellness benefits. It unlocks a significant opportunity for Boulder to grow sales in the foodservice channel, valued at US$641.43bn in 2013 according to Technomic.
The deal also demonstrates the value branded packaged food manufacturers can bring to the foodservice channel. As the brand leader in the gluten-free segment in the US, Udi's brand capital should serve to reassure consumers of the quality of Pizza Hut's gluten-free offering.
Boulder will certainly hope so. It is going through a challenging spell; in October, the company reported a third-quarter loss after impairment charges on its Smart Balance division.
The group's gluten-free arm has performed well and more foodservice deals could be in the offing. BB&T Capital Markets analyst Andrew Wolf said today Boulder had flagged in August it would launch into two national restaurant chains and was in talks with more.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
This week, Bel struck a deal to buy a majority stake in fellow French group MOM Brands. Another French food major, Danone, faced criticism in the US over its plans for GMO ingredients. US snack maker ...
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review