Blog: Brasher faces challenge as Pick n Pay disappoints in H1
Michelle Russell | 25 October 2012
South African supermarket operator Pick n Pay may be counting on new CEO Richard Brasher to turn the retailer's fortunes around after the group booked a "disappointing" drop in first-half earnings today (25 October).
The group was open about its disappointment this week at the 41.5% slide in earnings, which it said was impacted by investments, as well as the centralisation of its distribution operations.
The group said the appointment of Brasher brings "precisely the skills and experience we need to take the business forward".
The former Tesco UK chief is certain to have a challenge on his hands.
It is the first time Pick n Pay has appointed a CEO from outside its own ranks, and while Pick n Pay is confident he has what it takes to turn the group's fortunes around, analysts are less confident.
36One Asset Management analyst Even Walker believes Brasher's main challenges will be the country's "militant labour union", in addition to productivity issues, which he said he'll "have a tough time fixing". He adds: "It's going to be messy."
French politicians have passed legislation that bans large stores from throwing away unsold food in a bid to tackle waste....
The make-up of the ingredients in baby food in the US is under some scrutiny, with Campbell Soup Co. and Nestle attracting criticism from consumer watchdogs....
UK cash-and-carry and convenience retailer Booker Group has struck a deal to buy the Londis and Budgens symbol retail chains from Ireland's Musgrave Group - and emphasised the changing retail landscap...
US efforts to liberalise international trade faced something of a roller coaster ride this week, as the Senate first voted down Barack Obama's proposals only to reach a compromise that would give the ...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- How the Applegate acquisition will benefit Hormel
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Heinz, Boulder face off in Smart Balance TM spat
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)