Blog: Brasher faces challenge as Pick n Pay disappoints in H1
Michelle Russell | 25 October 2012
South African supermarket operator Pick n Pay may be counting on new CEO Richard Brasher to turn the retailer's fortunes around after the group booked a "disappointing" drop in first-half earnings today (25 October).
The group was open about its disappointment this week at the 41.5% slide in earnings, which it said was impacted by investments, as well as the centralisation of its distribution operations.
The group said the appointment of Brasher brings "precisely the skills and experience we need to take the business forward".
The former Tesco UK chief is certain to have a challenge on his hands.
It is the first time Pick n Pay has appointed a CEO from outside its own ranks, and while Pick n Pay is confident he has what it takes to turn the group's fortunes around, analysts are less confident.
36One Asset Management analyst Even Walker believes Brasher's main challenges will be the country's "militant labour union", in addition to productivity issues, which he said he'll "have a tough time fixing". He adds: "It's going to be messy."
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Aldi reformulates US private-label lines
- Premier Foods adds to Bisto range
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis