Blog: Breastfeeding must not be taboo
Catherine Sleep | 18 September 2003
Few dispute that breastfeeding is good for both baby and mother, but several newish mums of my acquaintance have experienced negative reactions to public breastfeeding or spent unhappy hours wandering around with a screaming, hungry baby trying to find somewhere moderately private. The old hands tend to get hardened to it and shrug off disapproving looks.
More stores, malls and the like could provide clean, comfortable mother-and-baby rooms, that would help. But the real change needs to start with our attitude. Yes, it can be a little awkward when a mother starts breastfeeding her child on the seat next to us on the bus, but we all need to just relax a little and accept that it’s natural, healthy and generally best not to keep baby waiting until a more “appropriate” time.
A great deal of flesh is bared in magazines, adverts and films these days – time to stop feeling embarrassed when we see breasts being used for their original purpose, methinks.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review