Blog: Britain's most paranoid discounter?
Dean Best | 23 October 2008
As the battle for cost-conscious UK consumers intensifies, Tesco has been quick to proclaim itself the country's “biggest discounter”.
But it seems its bullishness belies an apparent anxiety about the march of the traditional discounters in the UK.
"Tesco is getting really twitchy about anything new that Aldi puts on its shelves," a German own-label manufacturer confided in just-food at the SIAL food exhibition in Paris. "They have only to spot something new in an Aldi store and, if it's in my sector, they're on the phone to me the same day."
It must be one of the few times when price point comes ahead of margin.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities