Blog: Britons are the fattest in the EU
Petah Marian | 8 December 2010
Britons are the fattest in the European Union, and more than half the people in the EU are overweight or obese, a report said.
According to a study by the European Commission and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), a quarter of adults in the UK are obese, against 23% in Ireland, 22% in Malta and 20% in Iceland and Luxembourg.
Meanwhile, 10% of Italians are obese, while some 11% are obese in Holland and France.
On average, just over 15% of the EU adult population is obese.
While the report found that life expectancy was high in the UK, it lagged behind other countries when it came to the number of years spent in good health, without physical limitation.
What the stats highlight is that the UK is failing in its attempts to ensure the long term health of its people and the continued need for the goverment to play a role in doing this.
These findings back up what obesity campaigners have been trying to push down UK Government's throat as health secretary Andrew Lansley works to short-sightedly cut costs in its obesity reduction campaigns - obese people cost the NHS more.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review