Blog: Britons are the fattest in the EU
Petah Marian | 8 December 2010
Britons are the fattest in the European Union, and more than half the people in the EU are overweight or obese, a report said.
According to a study by the European Commission and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), a quarter of adults in the UK are obese, against 23% in Ireland, 22% in Malta and 20% in Iceland and Luxembourg.
Meanwhile, 10% of Italians are obese, while some 11% are obese in Holland and France.
On average, just over 15% of the EU adult population is obese.
While the report found that life expectancy was high in the UK, it lagged behind other countries when it came to the number of years spent in good health, without physical limitation.
What the stats highlight is that the UK is failing in its attempts to ensure the long term health of its people and the continued need for the goverment to play a role in doing this.
These findings back up what obesity campaigners have been trying to push down UK Government's throat as health secretary Andrew Lansley works to short-sightedly cut costs in its obesity reduction campaigns - obese people cost the NHS more.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review