Blog: Brussels clears Cargill's ADM chocolate buy - with a condition
Dean Best | 20 July 2015
Cargill's move to buy Archer Daniels Midland's chocolate business has cleared its last regulatory hurdle after clearance from the European Commission. But Brussels has asked Cargill to offload part of the assets.
The companies announced a US$440m deal last September. In February, the Commission said it would launch an in-depth investigation in the deal after an initial look showed "potential" competition concerns in the supply of industrial chocolate in the UK and Germany.
Cargill and ADM were two of the three largest business-to-business chocolate suppliers in these markets, alongside Switzerland's Barry Callebaut
To address the Commission's concerns over the impact the deal could have on competition, Cargill has agreed to offload ADM's industrial chocolate production facility in Mannheim, Germany.
Cargill said the facility will be kept as a separate entity with its own interim management until an agreement with a prospective buyer has been made.
The company will keep two chocolate, compound and liquor production sites in the US, one in Canada, and two chocolate and compound production sites in Europe, one in the UK and the other in Belgium.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review