Blog: Buffett ups stake in Tesco
Dean Best | 19 January 2012
A week after Tesco shocked the market and sent its shares tumbling with a profit warning, it has emerged that the US billionaire investor Warren Buffett has quietly increased his stake in the retailer.
In a statement to the London Stock Exchange today (19 January), Tesco said Buffett's investment vehicle Berkshire Hathaway had acquired more of the UK retailer's shares. Berkshire's stake is now 5.08%, up from 3.21%, Tesco said.
The date of the share purchase was 13 January, the day after Tesco warned its profits would not grow as fast as expected in its current financial year and in the next 12 months amid continued problems with its UK business. The retailer's shares fell 16%.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report