Blog: Bumpy landing for travel retail
Dean Best | 19 October 2009
Cannes in October. You'd expect it to be sunnier than the UK – and you'd be right.
There is, however, a bit of a chill in the air this morning (19 October) here in the south of France. And, for those heading to the annual TFWA duty-free and travel-retail exhibition, today came UK passenger numbers that will cool any budding optimism among attendees.
According to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), the number of business passengers at Heathrow slid by 5% in 2008 as the economic downturn started to take hold in the last quarter of the year.
As all in duty free and travel retail know, lower levels of business passengers means falling revenues for the airlines and lower sales going through the tills at airports.
Confectionery, seen as more affordable than other categories like wine, spirits and luxury goods, has been less affected by the weak civil aviation environment.
However, looking at the latest data from industry analyst Generation shows that duty-free and travel-retail confectionery sales tumbled by more than 9% in the first quarter of 2009.
What's more the CAA numbers are for 2008; the depth of the downturn since the turn of the year suggests 2009's numbers will be worse.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review