Blog: Buying local
Catherine Sleep | 4 November 2004
The local foods movement, a grassroots effort to encourage consumers to think about where and how their food is produced, and how it reaches their shopping basket, is undoubtedly growing in stature. Food miles are inevitable to an extent, but there is a will to reduce them, which is one of the factors driving the growth in farmers’ markets.
We commissioned an industry consultant in the US to investigate the local food issue and its likely impact on all sectors of the food industry and the resulting report is this month’s management briefing, free to all members. To find out more, just click the link below.
I don’t know about you, but I LIKE to think of myself as a shopper who supports local producers and tries to keep food miles down. I've always seen the food miles issue as a major stumbling block for organics while such a high proportion of organic food consumed in the UK is imported. For instance, I'd rather buy a local free-range chicken that has travelled just a few miles than one from the other side of the world, even if it is organic.
But when I take a look at my fridge and food cupboards, well, they could hardly be more international. Note to self: try harder.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016