Blog: By gum! Just three weeks - and the Wrigley deal is done
Dean Best | 28 April 2008
The executives at confectioner Mars and gum giant Wrigley didn’t take long to chew over their US$23bn merger.
Chairman Bill Wrigley revealed that Mars counterpart Paul Michaels first approached him just three weeks ago on 11 April.
“A day I remember well,” Mr Wrigley laughed as he addressed reporters in the company’s hometown of Chicago following the announcement of the deal today (28 April).
Mr Wrigley hailed the transaction, saying it will take the company on to the next level.
Notably, he suggested that the deal will make the rest of the confectionery industry sit up and take notice – and that more consolidation in the sector would be likely.
But, above all, the size of the deal demonstrates that, despite concerns over the credit crunch and the health of the financial markets, there is still enough cash flowing around for such a mega-deal.
And, that when two companies want to join together, a courtship of 17 days is long enough.
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta appoints Gary McGann as chairman
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities