Blog: Cadbury salmonella claims just won't go away
Dean Best | 15 June 2007
The salmonella scandal that has engulfed Cadbury Schweppes in the last year looks set to roll on – despite the UK confectioner today (15 June) admitting its guilt over the outbreak.
A second local authority has brought charges against Cadbury over the state of one of the company’s factories.
Herefordshire Council has summonsed Cadbury over the alleged role that a plant in the county may have played in the outbreak, which led to the company recalling a whopping 1m bars of chocolate last year.
The charges mean Cadbury will again appear in court with next month. Today, the company was in the dock in the city of Birmingham and pleaded guilty to three breaches of UK food regulations.
It is likely that Cadbury hoped the admission in Birmingham would help bring a swift end to the salmonella scandal, which has cost it around GBP30m (US$59.3m) and dented consumer confidence in the company.
Risk managers in food and drink companies up and down the land see such contaminations as one of the biggest threats to a company’s reputation.
The second set of accusations could further erode trust in one of the UK’s best-loved companies and brands.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review