Blog: CAGNY kicks off
Dean Best | 16 February 2010
"It's great to be here in Florida again especially after the winter most of us have been through," remarked ConAgra Foods CFO John Gehring as this year's CAGNY conference got under way today (16 February).
ConAgra has been among a clutch of food makers to present at CAGNY today as investors heard how the largest food manufacturers would drive growth in what remains a very challenging business climate, particularly in developed markets.
For its part, ConAgra said it would persist with its NPD programme this year, using cost-savings from its supply chain to provide the "fuel" for sales and earnings growth.
General Mills pointed to its own marketing moves to drive growth in the US but set out its stall to grow internationally over the next five years.
And, meanwhile, Kraft Foods, now the world's largest confectioner after its takeover Cadbury outlined a timetable for how it plans to integrate the UK firm into its business.
Investors have voiced concerns over Kraft's ability to drive profitable expansion and deliver promised margin growth in the wake of the Cadbury deal. However, Kraft believes the acquisition will drive annual sales and has set a target of revenue growth of at least 5%.
And, all the while, Kraft insisted it was exiting a number of "unprofitable" categories and focusing again on NPD instead of "value-driven" marketing.
Next up later today - Sara Lee, Unilever, Hershey and Archer Daniels Midland.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review