Blog: Can chocolate be healthy?
Catherine Sleep | 1 February 2007
Sometimes you just want a pick-me-up, and sometimes only chocolate will do. I’m sure I’m not alone in that, particularly at this time of year. Nevertheless, a girl has to watch her calorific intake, so it’s with great interest that I’ve been tracking the rise and rise of ‘healthier chocolates’.
Belgian company NewTree has been at the forefront and has just launched two new products for those who need a quick hit. If you want a shot of ‘wellbeing chocolate’, less is definitely more, so NewTree has packaged its new range in 30g bars. Playing to the health-conscious, one bar contains apricot as well as soy germ extract, while the other includes mint and green tea extract.
However, the company may be overplaying its hand by naming one of the bars “Bikini”– however healthy chocolate is, it’s never going to be a key part of any diet aimed at getting us back on the beach in our bikinis, right? If only!
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities