Blog: Candy companies trick or treat their way to bigger profits
Katy Askew | 27 September 2012
According to the latest data from US trade organisation the National Retail Federation, more US consumers are going to be spending more money this Halloween.
The NRF's 2012 Halloween consumer spending survey, released earlier this week (25 September), found that 71.5% of Americans plan to celebrate Halloween this year, up from 68.6% last year. And, on average, US shoppers are planning to spend more on Halloween treats, decorations and costumers - up to US$79.82 each, from $72.31 last year.
Proclaiming that there is "no spooking spending" this year, the NRF concluded Halloween spending is expected to reach a whopping $8bn.
This will be music to the ears of the likes of Cadbury, Mars and Hershey who invest significant sums each year to roll out holiday-themed confections as they jostle for space in trick or treat pails throughout the country.
This year, some of the more memorable Halloween-themed treats on offer include Hershey's Pumpkin Spice Kisses, Candy Corn Oreos, M&M's White Chocolate Candy Corn and - my personal favourite - green-goo filled Cadbury Scream Eggs.
US fans of British chocolate imports have taken to social media to vent their frustration after Hershey earlier this week reached a settlement with an importer to stop distributing British-made candy ...
Ads are commonly a bone of contention in this industry, with food manufacturers regularly coming under fire for what they believe is creative use of media. ...
Singapore-based agribusiness giant Wilmar International is to publish more information on how it sources its palm oil, a move welcomed by environmentalists....
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report