Blog: Candy companies trick or treat their way to bigger profits
Katy Askew | 27 September 2012
According to the latest data from US trade organisation the National Retail Federation, more US consumers are going to be spending more money this Halloween.
The NRF's 2012 Halloween consumer spending survey, released earlier this week (25 September), found that 71.5% of Americans plan to celebrate Halloween this year, up from 68.6% last year. And, on average, US shoppers are planning to spend more on Halloween treats, decorations and costumers - up to US$79.82 each, from $72.31 last year.
Proclaiming that there is "no spooking spending" this year, the NRF concluded Halloween spending is expected to reach a whopping $8bn.
This will be music to the ears of the likes of Cadbury, Mars and Hershey who invest significant sums each year to roll out holiday-themed confections as they jostle for space in trick or treat pails throughout the country.
This year, some of the more memorable Halloween-themed treats on offer include Hershey's Pumpkin Spice Kisses, Candy Corn Oreos, M&M's White Chocolate Candy Corn and - my personal favourite - green-goo filled Cadbury Scream Eggs.
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report