Blog: Candy companies trick or treat their way to bigger profits
Katy Askew | 27 September 2012
According to the latest data from US trade organisation the National Retail Federation, more US consumers are going to be spending more money this Halloween.
The NRF's 2012 Halloween consumer spending survey, released earlier this week (25 September), found that 71.5% of Americans plan to celebrate Halloween this year, up from 68.6% last year. And, on average, US shoppers are planning to spend more on Halloween treats, decorations and costumers - up to US$79.82 each, from $72.31 last year.
Proclaiming that there is "no spooking spending" this year, the NRF concluded Halloween spending is expected to reach a whopping $8bn.
This will be music to the ears of the likes of Cadbury, Mars and Hershey who invest significant sums each year to roll out holiday-themed confections as they jostle for space in trick or treat pails throughout the country.
This year, some of the more memorable Halloween-themed treats on offer include Hershey's Pumpkin Spice Kisses, Candy Corn Oreos, M&M's White Chocolate Candy Corn and - my personal favourite - green-goo filled Cadbury Scream Eggs.
US cereal giant Kellogg's revealed plans to open a cafe in New York City, located at a prime location on Broadway....
Wow. Your correspondent is penning this blog following precious little sleep after the combination of a humid night in London and the emergence of the most significant event in UK history since 1945 m...
The last three Unilever CEOs have joined present chief executive Paul Polman in writing to the company's staff to warn the group's UK operations would be "negatively impacted" by the country leaving t...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- General Mills to invest in "growth businesses"
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- UPDATE: Hershey rejects Mondelez takeover
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- ForeSights: Edible Cutlery; Cutlery made out of food-grade materials instead of plastic
- Fast Food in India