Blog: Canned courage
Catherine Sleep | 14 February 2006
On this Valentine’s Day, let me bring you a tale not only of romance, but also great courage. Or perhaps stupidity, depending on your viewpoint.
Seventy-three year-old Les Lailey has just eaten a canned roast chicken that he’s been keeping in his larder since his wedding day in 1956. He and his wife Beryl decided that the occasion of their golden wedding was the moment to break the can open and consume the contents. Or at least Les did – Beryl, being a woman, was of course far too sensible to do anything but watch.
Now apparently the roast chicken in the can was absolutely fine, which is hugely impressive and gives cause for the canned food industry to pat itself on the back. Which of course it has done, with gusto. You can read more by clicking the link below.
Clearly Lailey is an all-round canny chap, as he’s now planning to sell the empty can on Ebay.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report