Blog: Cappucino culture threat to pubs
Catherine Sleep | 22 November 2005
The rise of the coffee house has changed the face of the British high street. It has also created a space for people, especially women, to meet friends, relax and gather their thoughts. Men always had the pub, but rightly or wrongly many women feel inhibited going into a pub on their own. Guilty as charged.
Does the rising dominance of the café spell the end for British pubs? A research project funded by the Economic and Social Research Council revealed that cafés host a far broader range of activities than pubs. On the other hand, many pubs have responded by changing to become more like cafés, at least during the day.
The greater disposable income now enjoyed by women is a key driver in the growth of cafés, the research indicates. No mention was made of one really important distinction between cafés and pubs though. In my view, the fact that almost all cafés are smoke-free zones while most pubs are not is a real draw for coffee drinkers. Publicans will have to commit more sincerely to a no-smoking policy before they will entice more daytime coffee drinkers through their doors.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report