Blog: Cappucino culture threat to pubs
Catherine Sleep | 22 November 2005
The rise of the coffee house has changed the face of the British high street. It has also created a space for people, especially women, to meet friends, relax and gather their thoughts. Men always had the pub, but rightly or wrongly many women feel inhibited going into a pub on their own. Guilty as charged.
Does the rising dominance of the café spell the end for British pubs? A research project funded by the Economic and Social Research Council revealed that cafés host a far broader range of activities than pubs. On the other hand, many pubs have responded by changing to become more like cafés, at least during the day.
The greater disposable income now enjoyed by women is a key driver in the growth of cafés, the research indicates. No mention was made of one really important distinction between cafés and pubs though. In my view, the fact that almost all cafés are smoke-free zones while most pubs are not is a real draw for coffee drinkers. Publicans will have to commit more sincerely to a no-smoking policy before they will entice more daytime coffee drinkers through their doors.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review