Blog: Cargill snaps up ADM's chocolate business
Dean Best | 2 September 2014
Five months after Cargill's rumoured interest to buy Archer Daniels Midland's cocoa and chocolate businesses came to nothing, the company today (2 September) announced a deal for part of the assets.
Cargill has agreed to pay US$440m for ADM's chocolate divisions, which includes two plants in the US and one each in Canada, the UK, Belgium and Germany.
"This acquisition is a major milestone in Cargill's chocolate growth strategy and will help us better serve our customers in North America and Europe," Bryan Wurscher, president of Cargill's cocoa and chocolate business in North America, said.
Cargill argued the deal will broaden the product range it offers to food manufacturers.
For its part, ADM said the sale would allow it to focus on "higher-return investments".
The deal follows ADM's announcement in April that it would keep the "majority" of its cocoa operations after "extensive negotiations" with an unnamed buyer over a deal for its cocoa and chocolate operations. The talks, believed to be with Cargill, fizzled out - but ADM said it was still looking to offload its chocolate business, the smaller of the two divisions.
US cereal giant Kellogg's revealed plans to open a cafe in New York City, located at a prime location on Broadway....
Wow. Your correspondent is penning this blog following precious little sleep after the combination of a humid night in London and the emergence of the most significant event in UK history since 1945 m...
The last three Unilever CEOs have joined present chief executive Paul Polman in writing to the company's staff to warn the group's UK operations would be "negatively impacted" by the country leaving t...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- General Mills to invest in "growth businesses"
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- UPDATE: Hershey rejects Mondelez takeover
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Fast Food in India
- Baby Nutrition Insights - Issue 27