Blog: Cargill snaps up ADM's chocolate business
Dean Best | 2 September 2014
Five months after Cargill's rumoured interest to buy Archer Daniels Midland's cocoa and chocolate businesses came to nothing, the company today (2 September) announced a deal for part of the assets.
Cargill has agreed to pay US$440m for ADM's chocolate divisions, which includes two plants in the US and one each in Canada, the UK, Belgium and Germany.
"This acquisition is a major milestone in Cargill's chocolate growth strategy and will help us better serve our customers in North America and Europe," Bryan Wurscher, president of Cargill's cocoa and chocolate business in North America, said.
Cargill argued the deal will broaden the product range it offers to food manufacturers.
For its part, ADM said the sale would allow it to focus on "higher-return investments".
The deal follows ADM's announcement in April that it would keep the "majority" of its cocoa operations after "extensive negotiations" with an unnamed buyer over a deal for its cocoa and chocolate operations. The talks, believed to be with Cargill, fizzled out - but ADM said it was still looking to offload its chocolate business, the smaller of the two divisions.
just-food is downing tools for the public holiday in England and Wales on Monday 31 August. We'll be back at our desks on Tuesday 1 September....
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
A lawsuit tabled in the US has brought fresh attention to the supply chain for prawns, which hit headlines around the world last year amid claims of slavery....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis