Blog: Cargill snaps up ADM's chocolate business
Dean Best | 2 September 2014
Five months after Cargill's rumoured interest to buy Archer Daniels Midland's cocoa and chocolate businesses came to nothing, the company today (2 September) announced a deal for part of the assets.
Cargill has agreed to pay US$440m for ADM's chocolate divisions, which includes two plants in the US and one each in Canada, the UK, Belgium and Germany.
"This acquisition is a major milestone in Cargill's chocolate growth strategy and will help us better serve our customers in North America and Europe," Bryan Wurscher, president of Cargill's cocoa and chocolate business in North America, said.
Cargill argued the deal will broaden the product range it offers to food manufacturers.
For its part, ADM said the sale would allow it to focus on "higher-return investments".
The deal follows ADM's announcement in April that it would keep the "majority" of its cocoa operations after "extensive negotiations" with an unnamed buyer over a deal for its cocoa and chocolate operations. The talks, believed to be with Cargill, fizzled out - but ADM said it was still looking to offload its chocolate business, the smaller of the two divisions.
Coca-Cola Amatil is co-operating with Australian state police after an employee was arrested for money laundering and receiving a reported half-a-million Australian dollars in corrupt commissions. ...
Yildiz Holding reportedly wants its snacks business to overtake Kellogg and become the world's second-largest snack manufacturer....
?Fazer Group today (27 March) insisted that it booked a "strong result" for 2014, despite foreign exchange weighing down sales. ...
Nestle, Danone, Kerry Group and Tyson Foods are among the multinational consumer goods manufacturers presenting next week at the Consumer Analyst Group of Europe conference in London - of which just-f...
- Analysis: Is Heinz, Kraft merger "a growth story"?
- McDonald's antibiotics move may be seminal moment
- M&A Watch: Who could be on 3G Capital's radar?
- Viewpoint: Faber-led Danone gets realistic
- Green Giant talk underlines pressure at Gen Mills
- UPDATE: Heinz, Kraft strike merger agreement
- Kraft "in buyout talks" with Heinz owner 3G
- Fatal explosion at French desserts firm Senagral
- Infographic: Heinz, Kraft unveil combined business
- Buffett: Kraft Heinz to withstand health focus