Blog: Cargill snaps up ADM's chocolate business
Dean Best | 2 September 2014
Five months after Cargill's rumoured interest to buy Archer Daniels Midland's cocoa and chocolate businesses came to nothing, the company today (2 September) announced a deal for part of the assets.
Cargill has agreed to pay US$440m for ADM's chocolate divisions, which includes two plants in the US and one each in Canada, the UK, Belgium and Germany.
"This acquisition is a major milestone in Cargill's chocolate growth strategy and will help us better serve our customers in North America and Europe," Bryan Wurscher, president of Cargill's cocoa and chocolate business in North America, said.
Cargill argued the deal will broaden the product range it offers to food manufacturers.
For its part, ADM said the sale would allow it to focus on "higher-return investments".
The deal follows ADM's announcement in April that it would keep the "majority" of its cocoa operations after "extensive negotiations" with an unnamed buyer over a deal for its cocoa and chocolate operations. The talks, believed to be with Cargill, fizzled out - but ADM said it was still looking to offload its chocolate business, the smaller of the two divisions.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Advantage Capital Agribusiness Partners (ACAP), along with Silas Capital and Emil Capital Partners, is investing US$3m Florida-based Vintage Italia, the maker of Pasta Chips snacks. ...
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Japan's Kewpie Corp. is acquiring Polish food maker Mosso Kwasniewscy as part of its overseas expansion efforts....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Hochdorf expands in Africa with Pharmalys buy
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review