Blog: Cargill's "disarming" approach to sustainability
Dean Best | 1 November 2010
Late on Friday (29 October), we published our latest Sustainability Watch interview.
The series, which has been running for a year now, this time featured US agribusiness giant Cargill and key CSR executive Mark Murphy.
According to just-food's contributing editor Ben Cooper, who oversees, the monthly column, Murphy's admission that Cargill is "not there yet" with regard to certain parts of its sustainability strategy was disarming - especially when corporate actions around CSR can sometimes be seen as merely box-ticking exercises.
The interview, which can be found here, analyses Cargill's work on issues from greenhouse gas emissions to working with cocoa and soy farmers in countries from the Côte d’Ivoire and Brazil.
"It's evolving," Murphy says. "There are many models that companies have. It's easy to call out a Unilever or a Nestlé who have been at these issues, and have been quite committed from the top of the house down for many, many years and have pretty sophisticated models. Cargill haven't gotten to that level yet."
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review