Blog: Carrefour under Chinese government scrutiny again
Michelle Russell | 11 December 2012
French retail giant Carrefour has found itself in hot water in China again after being accused of fraud.
The local government in China's northern Shanxi province is investigating a Carrefour store in Taiyuan that has been accused of cheating customers with mislabelled price tags.
According to the China Daily newspaper, the country's price administration bureau received a number of customer complains about the mislabelling of a food product, although it did not say how many.
A spokesperson for Carrefour told just-food the discrepancy was between the shelf price and the cash aligned price of one product: packs of chocolate cereal bar Cola Cao.
"It was an unintentional mistake," the spokesperson said. "It was an individual case and we immediately sent a team out to check and make sure the store strictly follows the prices to avoid any future mistakes."
She said the investigation is still ongoing. According to the China Daily, Carrefour could face a CNY500,000 (US$80,000) fine.
It seems, however, this is not the first time Carrefour has been investigated by Chinese officials.
In February last year, Carrefour was fined CNY9.5m (US$1.4m) by China's National Development and Reform Commission for manipulating product prices in some of their stores.
Maggi noodles are yet to return to shelves in India but Nestle has started to pave the way for the brand's comeback with a series of social media ads....
just-food is downing tools for the public holiday in England and Wales on Monday 31 August. We'll be back at our desks on Tuesday 1 September....
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Industry news of week - Green Giant, Just Mayo
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis