Blog: Carrefour under Chinese government scrutiny again
Michelle Russell | 11 December 2012
French retail giant Carrefour has found itself in hot water in China again after being accused of fraud.
The local government in China's northern Shanxi province is investigating a Carrefour store in Taiyuan that has been accused of cheating customers with mislabelled price tags.
According to the China Daily newspaper, the country's price administration bureau received a number of customer complains about the mislabelling of a food product, although it did not say how many.
A spokesperson for Carrefour told just-food the discrepancy was between the shelf price and the cash aligned price of one product: packs of chocolate cereal bar Cola Cao.
"It was an unintentional mistake," the spokesperson said. "It was an individual case and we immediately sent a team out to check and make sure the store strictly follows the prices to avoid any future mistakes."
She said the investigation is still ongoing. According to the China Daily, Carrefour could face a CNY500,000 (US$80,000) fine.
It seems, however, this is not the first time Carrefour has been investigated by Chinese officials.
In February last year, Carrefour was fined CNY9.5m (US$1.4m) by China's National Development and Reform Commission for manipulating product prices in some of their stores.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Ferrero entity acquires Delacre
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report