Blog: Cheddarnaut has landed…
Dean Best | 30 July 2009
Yes that’s right, you’ll be pleased to know that the wedge of cheddar launched into space on Tuesday (28 July) by West Country Farmhouse Cheesemakers has returned in one piece.
For those who didn’t see our previous blog, the company launched a 300g wedge of cheddar in a large weather balloon 30km into the upper atmosphere of the Earth earlier this week. The stunt was held to mark the 40th anniversary of the moon landings.
However, the cheesemakers were panicking slightly when the GPS satellite-tracking system attached to the capsule failed to locate its whereabouts.
Thankfully, West Country Farmhouse breathed a sigh of relief yesterday as the extra-mature cheese made an appearance, helped by its very own parachute.
The wedge made its landing in High Wycombe, near to the very home of just-food's publishing director. Unfortunately, it didn’t quite make it to his garden but instead to that of a resident who wishes to remain anonymous.
So we can now all rest easy at night knowing the cheese is safely home at West Country towers following its pioneering space expedition.
And don’t forget, we’ve all had the good fortune of sharing in the experience of witnessing the first space flight undertaken by a piece of cheese.
Michelle Russell, reporter
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report