Blog: Cheddarnaut has landed…
Dean Best | 30 July 2009
Yes that’s right, you’ll be pleased to know that the wedge of cheddar launched into space on Tuesday (28 July) by West Country Farmhouse Cheesemakers has returned in one piece.
For those who didn’t see our previous blog, the company launched a 300g wedge of cheddar in a large weather balloon 30km into the upper atmosphere of the Earth earlier this week. The stunt was held to mark the 40th anniversary of the moon landings.
However, the cheesemakers were panicking slightly when the GPS satellite-tracking system attached to the capsule failed to locate its whereabouts.
Thankfully, West Country Farmhouse breathed a sigh of relief yesterday as the extra-mature cheese made an appearance, helped by its very own parachute.
The wedge made its landing in High Wycombe, near to the very home of just-food's publishing director. Unfortunately, it didn’t quite make it to his garden but instead to that of a resident who wishes to remain anonymous.
So we can now all rest easy at night knowing the cheese is safely home at West Country towers following its pioneering space expedition.
And don’t forget, we’ve all had the good fortune of sharing in the experience of witnessing the first space flight undertaken by a piece of cheese.
Michelle Russell, reporter
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities