Blog: Cheeto's "giant" cheese balls - an April Fool's ruse?
Dean Best | 31 March 2009
Cheese balls the size of golf balls – “the perfect expression of the brand's playful personality”.
This is the message from Frito-Lay, the PepsiCo subsidiary launching Cheeto Giants nationwide from tomorrow, 1 April – yes, April Fool’s Day.
While reading the press release’s irreverent tone and glancing at the calendar earlier this morning, the cynics amongst us in the just-food office thought that, just maybe, the launch may indeed be a joke.
"The Cheetos brand believes people who lighten up and play more live happier lives," said Ann Mukherjee, group vice president, marketing, Frito-Lay North America.
Too cheesy to be true, surely? It continues….
"When we came to the idea of creating giant-sized Cheetos snacks, we knew we had a winner just because of the sheer silliness of the concept…”
Well, Frito-Lay’s response to our doubts on the product’s true authenticity came back swiftly.
“It is a real product”, was the short answer.
Well, the jury is still out in the just-food office. We’re not that easily fooled by a bag of giant cheese balls.
Or are we….?!
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities