Blog: Cheeto's "giant" cheese balls - an April Fool's ruse?
Dean Best | 31 March 2009
Cheese balls the size of golf balls – “the perfect expression of the brand's playful personality”.
This is the message from Frito-Lay, the PepsiCo subsidiary launching Cheeto Giants nationwide from tomorrow, 1 April – yes, April Fool’s Day.
While reading the press release’s irreverent tone and glancing at the calendar earlier this morning, the cynics amongst us in the just-food office thought that, just maybe, the launch may indeed be a joke.
"The Cheetos brand believes people who lighten up and play more live happier lives," said Ann Mukherjee, group vice president, marketing, Frito-Lay North America.
Too cheesy to be true, surely? It continues….
"When we came to the idea of creating giant-sized Cheetos snacks, we knew we had a winner just because of the sheer silliness of the concept…”
Well, Frito-Lay’s response to our doubts on the product’s true authenticity came back swiftly.
“It is a real product”, was the short answer.
Well, the jury is still out in the just-food office. We’re not that easily fooled by a bag of giant cheese balls.
Or are we….?!
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review