Blog: Chile must do more to reap potential
Dean Best | 12 April 2007
Pop quiz – which foods are synonymous with Chile? Uh-huh, thought so. Hallmarks of Chilean cuisine hardly trip off just-food’s tongue either – until last night (11 April) that is, when we were invited to the Chilean Ambassador’s residence in London.
just-food, along with fellow members of the UK-based food press, went along to sample a range of Chilean dishes as guests of Pro Chile, a government agency charged with promoting the country’s products worldwide.
What became clear is that Chile has potentially strong positions in a number of sectors – but the Chilean food industry has perhaps not done enough to shout about its culinary prowess.
Did you know, for instance, that Chile is the second-largest producer of farmed salmon in the world? Me neither. What’s more, here in the UK, we have the Chilean season to thank for us Brits being able to buy avocados all year round.
It could be argued that most of South America has something of an identity problem when it comes to European consumer recognition of the continent’s signature foods. At least, however, Argentina has its steak.
Perhaps the Chilean food sector should tread a similar path to the country’s wine producers and set up dedicated promotional bodies that are based in key markets. Wines of Chile, for example, has offices in markets including the UK and the US and has played a vital role in boosting consumer awareness – and sales – of the country’s wines.
Food is central to the health of Chilean trade. More than half of all Chilean exports to the UK are food and wine. Chilean Gastronomic Week, which is taking place in the UK from 23-29 April, is an ideal time to start that promotional push.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review