Blog: Chile the next stop for Wal-Mart juggernaut
Dean Best | 23 January 2009
Today (23 January) came confirmation of Wal-Mart's growing desire to further expand internationally.
The world's largest retailer has had its tender offer for a majority stake in Chilean grocer D&S accepted – making the Latin American country the US titan's 14th overseas market.
The deal gives Wal-Mart control of Chile's largest food retailer, which has a narrow lead over local rival Cencosud.
More broadly, the acquisition is another sign that Wal-Mart is looking to increase its focus on its international businesses.
Next month, a new captain will be steering the good ship Wal-Mart with Mike Duke set to become president and CEO.
Duke has spent the last three years running Wal-Mart International, which, as a stand-alone business, is expected to see sales reach almost $100bn this year.
While Wal-Mart has benefited in its own backyard from the economic downturn, as US consumers clamour for value, the retailer is looking to spend more internationally.
Will Russia – at last – be next?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review