Blog: Chinese New Year – at Marks & Sparks?
Catherine Sleep | 22 January 2004
UK high street retailer Marks & Spencer is celebrating the 21st anniversary of the launch of its range of Chinese ready meals in 1983. That’s quite impressive actually – back then we Brits were still rather conservative about “foreign food” but the chain now sells more than 13 million Chinese meals a year.
We have also embraced Indian, Italian, Greek, and latterly Thai, Polish and even more exotic cuisines such as Lebanese or Vietnamese. Somewhere in there are the remnants of an English cuisine, but you’re hard pushed to find it represented on the high street, unless you count the ubiquitous greasy spoons with their fried breakfasts. Kind of sad but on the other hand it’s great to have such a choice these days.
And in the meantime, Happy New Year to all our Chinese readers.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities