Blog: Chiquita boss goes undercover
Dean Best | 26 October 2010
The chief executive of produce giant Chiquita Brands International has become the latest food-company boss to go undercover and find out what really goes on throughout his business.
Fernando Aguirre, Chiquita's chairman and CEO, admitted that his appearance on US television show Undercover Boss was "an eye-opening experience".
"CEOs don't often have the opportunity to connect with their employees in an unfiltered way, and participating in Undercover Boss helped me achieve that," Aguirre said. The Chiquita chief's stint undercover airs on CBS on Sunday (31 October).
Here in the UK, a few months back, the boss of fish and chip shop chain Harry Ramsden's, Maria Simovic, took part in our version of the show.
Simovic called the experience "nerve-wracking" but said the show helped her understand what was needed to get the business, bought by UK meat giant Boparan Holdings earlier this year, "back on the map".
Meeting staff and working in the chain's restaurants and kitchens proved an eye-opener for Simovic and also made for decent TV.
US viewers will be wondering what potential banana skins there are for Chiquita's Aguirre.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report