Blog: Chiquita boss goes undercover
Dean Best | 26 October 2010
The chief executive of produce giant Chiquita Brands International has become the latest food-company boss to go undercover and find out what really goes on throughout his business.
Fernando Aguirre, Chiquita's chairman and CEO, admitted that his appearance on US television show Undercover Boss was "an eye-opening experience".
"CEOs don't often have the opportunity to connect with their employees in an unfiltered way, and participating in Undercover Boss helped me achieve that," Aguirre said. The Chiquita chief's stint undercover airs on CBS on Sunday (31 October).
Here in the UK, a few months back, the boss of fish and chip shop chain Harry Ramsden's, Maria Simovic, took part in our version of the show.
Simovic called the experience "nerve-wracking" but said the show helped her understand what was needed to get the business, bought by UK meat giant Boparan Holdings earlier this year, "back on the map".
Meeting staff and working in the chain's restaurants and kitchens proved an eye-opener for Simovic and also made for decent TV.
US viewers will be wondering what potential banana skins there are for Chiquita's Aguirre.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review