Blog: Chobani brushes off Yoplait US ad offensive
Dean Best | 23 January 2014
Chobani has led the boom in US demand for Greek yoghurt in recent years but its success has attracted rivals - including those with deep pockets - to the category. One, General Mills, has this week targeted Chobani in taste test ads for its Yoplait brand. Chobani has brushed off the move.
On Monday (20 January), General Mills issued the results of what it called a "Greek yoghurt Taste-Off" and said its surveys had claimed Yoplait was "significantly preferred over Chobani".
General Mills said 65% of consumers preferred the taste of Yoplait Greek blueberry over the same Chobani Greek fruit-on-the-bottom flavour.
"We are focused on one thing – making Greek yogurt taste as good as it can be – so we asked yogurt fans if we had succeeded," Carla Vernón, marketing director for Yoplait Greek, said. "They overwhelmingly said yes."
Speaking to just-food, Chobani seemed relaxed about General Mills' claims. "Chobani has been directly challenged by its competitors before, but for us consumers matter most and we're proud they've made us America's number one Greek yoghurt. At Chobani, we've always believed how we craft our product matters. Chobani doesn't take shortcuts, which means always making the most delicious, nutritious, natural and accessible yogurt with no preservatives and nothing artificial," Peter McGuinness, chief marketing and brand officer at Chobani, said.
The UK retail giant has sought to "simplify" its trade terms with suppliers....
With market talk rumbling on over whether Diamond Foods is up for sale, attention has now turned to if the company could be preparing to sell its snack food brands separately having failed to secure a...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019