Blog: Chobani brushes off Yoplait US ad offensive
Dean Best | 23 January 2014
Chobani has led the boom in US demand for Greek yoghurt in recent years but its success has attracted rivals - including those with deep pockets - to the category. One, General Mills, has this week targeted Chobani in taste test ads for its Yoplait brand. Chobani has brushed off the move.
On Monday (20 January), General Mills issued the results of what it called a "Greek yoghurt Taste-Off" and said its surveys had claimed Yoplait was "significantly preferred over Chobani".
General Mills said 65% of consumers preferred the taste of Yoplait Greek blueberry over the same Chobani Greek fruit-on-the-bottom flavour.
"We are focused on one thing – making Greek yogurt taste as good as it can be – so we asked yogurt fans if we had succeeded," Carla Vernón, marketing director for Yoplait Greek, said. "They overwhelmingly said yes."
Speaking to just-food, Chobani seemed relaxed about General Mills' claims. "Chobani has been directly challenged by its competitors before, but for us consumers matter most and we're proud they've made us America's number one Greek yoghurt. At Chobani, we've always believed how we craft our product matters. Chobani doesn't take shortcuts, which means always making the most delicious, nutritious, natural and accessible yogurt with no preservatives and nothing artificial," Peter McGuinness, chief marketing and brand officer at Chobani, said.
US fans of British chocolate imports have taken to social media to vent their frustration after Hershey earlier this week reached a settlement with an importer to stop distributing British-made candy ...
Ads are commonly a bone of contention in this industry, with food manufacturers regularly coming under fire for what they believe is creative use of media. ...
Singapore-based agribusiness giant Wilmar International is to publish more information on how it sources its palm oil, a move welcomed by environmentalists....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Greencore expands UK, US sales
- Yildiz prepares to list dairy arm AK Gida
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits