Blog: Chobani brushes off Yoplait US ad offensive
Dean Best | 23 January 2014
Chobani has led the boom in US demand for Greek yoghurt in recent years but its success has attracted rivals - including those with deep pockets - to the category. One, General Mills, has this week targeted Chobani in taste test ads for its Yoplait brand. Chobani has brushed off the move.
On Monday (20 January), General Mills issued the results of what it called a "Greek yoghurt Taste-Off" and said its surveys had claimed Yoplait was "significantly preferred over Chobani".
General Mills said 65% of consumers preferred the taste of Yoplait Greek blueberry over the same Chobani Greek fruit-on-the-bottom flavour.
"We are focused on one thing – making Greek yogurt taste as good as it can be – so we asked yogurt fans if we had succeeded," Carla Vernón, marketing director for Yoplait Greek, said. "They overwhelmingly said yes."
Speaking to just-food, Chobani seemed relaxed about General Mills' claims. "Chobani has been directly challenged by its competitors before, but for us consumers matter most and we're proud they've made us America's number one Greek yoghurt. At Chobani, we've always believed how we craft our product matters. Chobani doesn't take shortcuts, which means always making the most delicious, nutritious, natural and accessible yogurt with no preservatives and nothing artificial," Peter McGuinness, chief marketing and brand officer at Chobani, said.
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
A lawsuit tabled in the US has brought fresh attention to the supply chain for prawns, which hit headlines around the world last year amid claims of slavery....
Savencia Fromage & Dairy, the French dairy group formerly known as Bongrain, has reported lower half-year sales but an increase in profits. ...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- General Mills to work on artificial ingredients
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020