Blog: Chobani brushes off Yoplait US ad offensive
Dean Best | 23 January 2014
Chobani has led the boom in US demand for Greek yoghurt in recent years but its success has attracted rivals - including those with deep pockets - to the category. One, General Mills, has this week targeted Chobani in taste test ads for its Yoplait brand. Chobani has brushed off the move.
On Monday (20 January), General Mills issued the results of what it called a "Greek yoghurt Taste-Off" and said its surveys had claimed Yoplait was "significantly preferred over Chobani".
General Mills said 65% of consumers preferred the taste of Yoplait Greek blueberry over the same Chobani Greek fruit-on-the-bottom flavour.
"We are focused on one thing – making Greek yogurt taste as good as it can be – so we asked yogurt fans if we had succeeded," Carla Vernón, marketing director for Yoplait Greek, said. "They overwhelmingly said yes."
Speaking to just-food, Chobani seemed relaxed about General Mills' claims. "Chobani has been directly challenged by its competitors before, but for us consumers matter most and we're proud they've made us America's number one Greek yoghurt. At Chobani, we've always believed how we craft our product matters. Chobani doesn't take shortcuts, which means always making the most delicious, nutritious, natural and accessible yogurt with no preservatives and nothing artificial," Peter McGuinness, chief marketing and brand officer at Chobani, said.
Rumours Chinese pork giant WH Group is eyeing acquisitions, particularly in the US, have surfaced....
In the sustainability arena, objective endorsement by a third party, particularly an NGO with credibility levels among consumers that even Unilever can only dream of, is an extremely valuable commodit...
An eye-catching tech move from Tesco has been revealed this week - and one that has echoes of one of Amazon's latest initiatives in the US....
- How Hain is refocusing amid growing competition
- Rise of prepared foods in US grocers - analysis
- How Nestle, R&R stand to benefit from ice cream JV
- How are brands organising for e-commerce?
- Hershey results, outlook, M&A - the top takeaways
- Hain Celestial eyes disposals, forms venture unit
- Kellogg launches Special K breakfast quiches
- Dole faces DoJ probe over listeria outbreak
- Amplify Snack Brands acquires Boundless Nutrition
- Kraft Heinz sees "faster" savings, volume uptick