Blog: Chocolate is good for your health... honest
Katy Askew | 6 September 2013
It's official: chocolate is good for your health.
At least, according to the European Commission. Brussels has agreed Barry Callebaut's claim that a daily intake of 200 milligrams of cocoa flavanols from either 2.5 grams of the B2B chocolate giant's registered trademark Acticoa cocoa powder or ten grams of its dark chocolate support healthy blood circulation.
Approval from the European regulator means the health benefits can be flagged on Acticoa products in all European Union countries. Health claims can also be applied by Barry Callebaut customers who use Acticoa cocoa and chocolate products.
"Receiving the right to use a health claim on cocoa flavanols by the EU Commission is most valuable for us as it is a great reward for long years of extensive research. The health claim is opening up new market potential. Since we received the positive opinion from EFSA on our submitted health claim, we saw a lot of interest among our customers," Peter Boone, chief innovation officer at Barry Callebaut, said.
And it works well for me too. Now "heart healthy" will be my reason for eating chocolate. This will sit neatly alongside "doctors say its good", my justification for drinking red wine. I forget why wine is good, and I'm not entirely sure the EC approves, but I do like the idea that it is backed by health professionals.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
This week, Bel struck a deal to buy a majority stake in fellow French group MOM Brands. Another French food major, Danone, faced criticism in the US over its plans for GMO ingredients. US snack maker ...
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review