Blog: Christmas is cancelled for Unilever workers
Katie Smith | 9 December 2011
Christmas looks to be cancelled for Unilever workers this year following today's (9 December) strike action.
Unite said Unilever have cancelled the Christmas party at the company's Port Sunlight facility and refused to give out Christmas hampers and gift vouchers to staff. The company has even banned workers from booking holidays in the new year, the union claimed.
"Rather than sitting down with the unions and trying to settle this dispute, Unilever are instead are acting like a modern day scrooge. The company is trying to bully its workers into submission through petty and vindictive actions," Unite national officer Jennie Formby said.
Unilever said it would be "inappropriate" to provide Christmas hampers or gift vouchers to our employees at the sites where industrial action is taking place.
"Instead we have committed to donating these to one of our national charity partners, FareShare," a Unilever spokesperson told just-food this afternoon.
Meanwhile, a spoksperson for Unite said today's strike had "solid support across the 12 sites". When asked whether there are any more planned, he said the union wants Unilever to "come back to the negotiating table".
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review