Blog: Christmas is cancelled for Unilever workers
Katie Smith | 9 December 2011
Christmas looks to be cancelled for Unilever workers this year following today's (9 December) strike action.
Unite said Unilever have cancelled the Christmas party at the company's Port Sunlight facility and refused to give out Christmas hampers and gift vouchers to staff. The company has even banned workers from booking holidays in the new year, the union claimed.
"Rather than sitting down with the unions and trying to settle this dispute, Unilever are instead are acting like a modern day scrooge. The company is trying to bully its workers into submission through petty and vindictive actions," Unite national officer Jennie Formby said.
Unilever said it would be "inappropriate" to provide Christmas hampers or gift vouchers to our employees at the sites where industrial action is taking place.
"Instead we have committed to donating these to one of our national charity partners, FareShare," a Unilever spokesperson told just-food this afternoon.
Meanwhile, a spoksperson for Unite said today's strike had "solid support across the 12 sites". When asked whether there are any more planned, he said the union wants Unilever to "come back to the negotiating table".
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities