Blog: Close encounters of the curd kind…
Dean Best | 28 July 2009
Neil Armstrong made it there and Michael Jackson wanted to moonwalk on it.
However, it is now the turn of a wedge of cheddar. Yes, you read right...cheddar.
West Country Cheesemakers have attempted to launch the first cheddar into space…
At 04.00 this morning (28 July) members of the West Country Farmhouse Cheesemakers group launched a 300g wedge of cheddar in a large weather balloon 30km into the upper atmosphere of the Earth.
The stunt was held to mark the 40th anniversary of the moon landings and in an attempt to achieve the record for the first space flight undertaken by a piece of cheese. The capsule contains digital camera equipment and a GPS satellite-tracking device.
However, the cheesemaker revealed this morning that the tracking system failed and the cheese has now disappeared off the radar.
A balloon, designed to burst at the edge of space releasing the cheese attached to a parachute, is now believed to have landed somewhere between Wiltshire and Cambridgeshire based on the day’s meteorological forecasts.
So for those living in the above vicinity, if you happen to spot a wedge of cheese deftly falling through the clouds attached to a parachute, no, you’re not going mad.
A video clip of the launch can be found on the BBC website, click here to view.
Michelle Russell, reporter
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review