Blog: Coca-Cola to challenge PepsiCo in dairy?
Michelle Russell | 11 February 2011
While PepsiCo is looking to build its presence in dairy with the recent acquisition of a 77% stake in Wimm-Bill-Dann (WBD), arch rival The Coca-Cola Co has indicated its interest in the category.
PepsiCo yesterday (11 February) repeated its confidence in WBD, which it purchased in December last year for US$3.8bn.
Speaking on an earnings call, CFO Hugh Johnston told analysts: "We're excited about the benefits Wimm-Bill-Dann brings to our Eastern European business in terms of scale, operating capability and the expansion of our product portfolio, and we're equally excited about establishing a meaningful foothold in the fast-growing value-added dairy category."
However, in an interview with Bloomberg on Wednesday, Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent said the firm will put "a lot of effort" into dairy drinks in conjunction with its growing juice business.
Coca-Cola's Minute Maid unit already sells a dairy and juice drink in China called Pulpy Super Milky.
No doubt Coca-Cola will look to build on this and really stir up the dairy drinks market.
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week
- Mondelez plays down impact of union action
- Brazil seeks to cool concerns over meat probe
- US meal delivery service Blue Apron buys BN Ranch