Blog: Coca-Cola to challenge PepsiCo in dairy?
Michelle Russell | 11 February 2011
While PepsiCo is looking to build its presence in dairy with the recent acquisition of a 77% stake in Wimm-Bill-Dann (WBD), arch rival The Coca-Cola Co has indicated its interest in the category.
PepsiCo yesterday (11 February) repeated its confidence in WBD, which it purchased in December last year for US$3.8bn.
Speaking on an earnings call, CFO Hugh Johnston told analysts: "We're excited about the benefits Wimm-Bill-Dann brings to our Eastern European business in terms of scale, operating capability and the expansion of our product portfolio, and we're equally excited about establishing a meaningful foothold in the fast-growing value-added dairy category."
However, in an interview with Bloomberg on Wednesday, Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent said the firm will put "a lot of effort" into dairy drinks in conjunction with its growing juice business.
Coca-Cola's Minute Maid unit already sells a dairy and juice drink in China called Pulpy Super Milky.
No doubt Coca-Cola will look to build on this and really stir up the dairy drinks market.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report