Blog: Coca-Cola to challenge PepsiCo in dairy?
Michelle Russell | 11 February 2011
While PepsiCo is looking to build its presence in dairy with the recent acquisition of a 77% stake in Wimm-Bill-Dann (WBD), arch rival The Coca-Cola Co has indicated its interest in the category.
PepsiCo yesterday (11 February) repeated its confidence in WBD, which it purchased in December last year for US$3.8bn.
Speaking on an earnings call, CFO Hugh Johnston told analysts: "We're excited about the benefits Wimm-Bill-Dann brings to our Eastern European business in terms of scale, operating capability and the expansion of our product portfolio, and we're equally excited about establishing a meaningful foothold in the fast-growing value-added dairy category."
However, in an interview with Bloomberg on Wednesday, Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent said the firm will put "a lot of effort" into dairy drinks in conjunction with its growing juice business.
Coca-Cola's Minute Maid unit already sells a dairy and juice drink in China called Pulpy Super Milky.
No doubt Coca-Cola will look to build on this and really stir up the dairy drinks market.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review