Blog: Cocoa, chocolate industry set to announce Ebola pledges
Dean Best | 14 October 2014
West Africa is a key production centre for cocoa
The World Cocoa Foundation, an industry body including some of the world's largest chocolate manufacturers, is to reveal details of their support for the fight against Ebola in west Africa.
Mars has pledged financial support as part of an industry response co-ordinated by the WCF to provide assistance to communities in the region, a key area of global cocoa production.
The Snickers and Galaxy maker told just-food the WCF would release more information about the industry's efforts "in the coming days".
The spread of the disease in west Africa has put pressure on cocoa prices. Cote d'Ivoire, the world's largest cocoa producer, has so far seen no cases on Ebola on its territory. However, the country has closed its borders to affected countries and there could be concern of a shortage of migrant workers to harvest the cocoa.
"Mars is continuing to monitor movement in the region, but first and foremost, our primary concern is for the health and safety of farmers, associates, and others in west Africa," Christopher DaVault, global sustainability manager at Mars, said.
Almond marketer and processor Blue Diamond Growers is increasing its capacity with the opening of a new bulk storage warehouse in Saldia, California. ...
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities