Blog: Cohabiting makes you fat…
Catherine Sleep | 6 April 2006
…if you’re a woman, that is. The male of the species, on the other hand, eats more healthily under the influence of a loving girlfriend or wife, and so tends to shed pounds. At least this is what a review of studies undertaken by Newcastle University dieticians indicates.
Does your own experience bear this out? I’d have to say that our marriage at least partly backs it up. Since I got hitched to a greyhound-skinny cake lover, I’ve found it harder to abstain from, shall we say, “foods of negligible nutritional benefit”; foods which I simply didn’t have in the house when I reigned supreme over the fridge. The erstwhile Microwave Cowboy, meanwhile, is definitely eating more vegetables, and fresh food in general, and thinks about issues such as salt intake.
Having a child focuses the attention even more keenly on food, as most people make so much effort to feed their baby a balanced, healthy diet, that it makes them think about paying more attention to their own food intake. After all, we're "worth it" too, as those silly shampoo ads say.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review