Blog: ConAgra, Cargill milling JV cleared - but plants must be sold
Dean Best | 21 May 2014
ConAgra Foods has secured clearance for its move to join its flour milling business with a venture run by Cargill and CHS - but after the parties agreed to sell off four plants.
The US Justice Department had argued the new venture - Ardent Mills - would hit competition, pushing up costs for the bakery industry and foodservice companies.
The Justice Department has now given the green light after the companies agreed to offload facilities.
ConAgra will sell mills in California, Minnesota and Texas. The existing venture between Cargill and CHS - Horizon Milling - will offload a site in California.
All mills will be sold to Miller Milling Co. – a US subsidiary of Japan's Nisshin Flour Milling.
"This joint venture positions Ardent Mills to deliver greater value and innovation to customers and consumers while enhancing customer and consumer choice," Cargill corporate vice president Scott Portnoy said.
Wow. Your correspondent is penning this blog following precious little sleep after the combination of a humid night in London and the emergence of the most significant event in UK history since 1945 m...
The last three Unilever CEOs have joined present chief executive Paul Polman in writing to the company's staff to warn the group's UK operations would be "negatively impacted" by the country leaving t...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- R&R Ice Cream names Daniel Martinez new CFO
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights