Blog: ConAgra, Cargill milling JV cleared - but plants must be sold
Dean Best | 21 May 2014
ConAgra Foods has secured clearance for its move to join its flour milling business with a venture run by Cargill and CHS - but after the parties agreed to sell off four plants.
The US Justice Department had argued the new venture - Ardent Mills - would hit competition, pushing up costs for the bakery industry and foodservice companies.
The Justice Department has now given the green light after the companies agreed to offload facilities.
ConAgra will sell mills in California, Minnesota and Texas. The existing venture between Cargill and CHS - Horizon Milling - will offload a site in California.
All mills will be sold to Miller Milling Co. – a US subsidiary of Japan's Nisshin Flour Milling.
"This joint venture positions Ardent Mills to deliver greater value and innovation to customers and consumers while enhancing customer and consumer choice," Cargill corporate vice president Scott Portnoy said.
The UK's Serious Fraud Office has launched an investigation into the GBP263m (US$424.6m) black hole in Tesco's accounts, the retailer confirmed today (29 October)....
A mobile app that claims to be the "most comprehensive food-rating database available" to US consumers has raised the hackles of the country's food manufacturers....
Just weeks after announcing a purchasing tie-up in France with local rival Systeme U, Auchan has outlined an international agreement with Germany's Metro Group....
Tesco has reported a massive 92% drop in first half profits as the accounting fiasco continues to widen....
- Why data is key to shopper satisfaction
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- Interview: Premier sets sights overseas
- Short-termism decides Chiquita's future
- Sustainability Watch: Roberto Ciati, Barilla
- Glanbia chairman to step down
- General Mills to launch "Ancient Grains" Cheerios
- Hershey lowers FY sales, earnings forecasts
- Mondelez evaluating Oreo production in Morocco
- Kellogg earnings beat forecast but sales pressured
- Supermarkets in China
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Pubs & Bars in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Consumer Trends Analysis: Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the Chinese Confectionery Food Market
- Kerry Group plc - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report