Blog: ConAgra, Cargill milling JV cleared - but plants must be sold
Dean Best | 21 May 2014
ConAgra Foods has secured clearance for its move to join its flour milling business with a venture run by Cargill and CHS - but after the parties agreed to sell off four plants.
The US Justice Department had argued the new venture - Ardent Mills - would hit competition, pushing up costs for the bakery industry and foodservice companies.
The Justice Department has now given the green light after the companies agreed to offload facilities.
ConAgra will sell mills in California, Minnesota and Texas. The existing venture between Cargill and CHS - Horizon Milling - will offload a site in California.
All mills will be sold to Miller Milling Co. – a US subsidiary of Japan's Nisshin Flour Milling.
"This joint venture positions Ardent Mills to deliver greater value and innovation to customers and consumers while enhancing customer and consumer choice," Cargill corporate vice president Scott Portnoy said.
Some analysts might be breathing a sigh of relief at news Danone is rejecting speculation it is about to swoop for infant-formula giant Mead Johnson. ...
It is an unseasonably mild and bright morning here in Paris as this year's SIAL expo gets under away. Will the mood of exhibitors match the sunnier weather?...
Re:Capital Australia, Hilco Capital's Australian unit, has formed a confectionery holding company as it pursues growth in the country's premium confectionery sector following its acquisition of Betta ...
Raisio, the Finland-based food group, is to lower the sugar content of UK cereal brand Sugar Puffs - and at the same time remove the ingredient from the product's name....
With sales under pressure and margins precarious, PepsiCo should sell off its Quaker North America business, Jefferies analysts argued today (16 October)....
- Comment: Paying the price for eating healthily
- Focus: Will Danone return to growth in dairy?
- Why Nestle is relaxed about the China "drag"
- Focus: Why French retail deals could hit suppliers
- M&A Watch: Emmi shareholders should consider sale
- Nestle organic sales fall on Asia, Europe
- Danone "eyes acquisition of Mead Johnson"
- Heinz jobs in Australasia to go in restructuring
- Symington's acquires Tanfield Foods
- Heinz silent over Polish factory expansion talk