Blog: ConAgra, Cargill milling JV cleared - but plants must be sold
Dean Best | 21 May 2014
ConAgra Foods has secured clearance for its move to join its flour milling business with a venture run by Cargill and CHS - but after the parties agreed to sell off four plants.
The US Justice Department had argued the new venture - Ardent Mills - would hit competition, pushing up costs for the bakery industry and foodservice companies.
The Justice Department has now given the green light after the companies agreed to offload facilities.
ConAgra will sell mills in California, Minnesota and Texas. The existing venture between Cargill and CHS - Horizon Milling - will offload a site in California.
All mills will be sold to Miller Milling Co. – a US subsidiary of Japan's Nisshin Flour Milling.
"This joint venture positions Ardent Mills to deliver greater value and innovation to customers and consumers while enhancing customer and consumer choice," Cargill corporate vice president Scott Portnoy said.
Alphabeta 4, a company indirectly controlled by Norway-based private-equity firm IK Investment Partners, is poised to start talks with Sagard Private Equity Partners to buy French chilled dough busine...
The make-up of the ingredients in baby food in the US is under some scrutiny, with Campbell Soup Co. and Nestle attracting criticism from consumer watchdogs....
Baring Private Equity Asia has struck a deal to buy 40% of UK-based cereal group Weetabix....
UK cash-and-carry and convenience retailer Booker Group has struck a deal to buy the Londis and Budgens symbol retail chains from Ireland's Musgrave Group - and emphasised the changing retail landscap...
US efforts to liberalise international trade faced something of a roller coaster ride this week, as the Senate first voted down Barack Obama's proposals only to reach a compromise that would give the ...
Over the weekend, there were fresh claims Europe-based food retailers Ahold and Delhaize are in discussions to join forces....
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details