Blog: ConAgra completes Ralcorp takeover
Dean Best | 30 January 2013
A little over two months after US food giant ConAgra Foods struck a deal to buy local private-label rival Ralcorp Holdings, it has sealed its US$6.8bn takeover of the company.
The two groups, major players in the US' fragmented but growing own-label sector, announced the completion of the deal yesterday (29 January).
ConAgra has long been interested in buying Ralcorp - in 2011, it had a number of takeover bids rejected - and the company's management were excited they had finally got their man.
ConAgra CEO Gary Rodkin said: "Today's acquisition of Ralcorp provides us with the right mix to deliver greater value and innovation to our customers and consumers, and sustainable, profitable growth to our shareholders."
The deal means ConAgra has become the largest private-label supplier in the US and the company sees plenty of benefits from the deal. When the transaction was first announced in November, Rodkin said ConAgra's strength in areas like innovation could be one benefit it brings to the table and would allow the company to manage the two sides of the business closely.
However, some have questioned the sector's potential. Last autumn, SymphonyIRI claimed the own-label category in the US had reached a "glass ceiling".
And some on Wall Street have asked whether ConAgra can really compete successfully with new products in Ralcorp's core categories like cereal and snack bars.
It is a deal that has boosted ConAgra's presence in what it deems to be an attractive sector - and there could be more deals to come - but there will be challenges ahead for the company.
Click here for just-food's analysis of the deal, published in November, including an interview with senior ConAgra executive Doug Knudsen.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities