Blog: Confectioners strike upbeat note at ISM
Michelle Russell | 29 January 2013
For an industry that has confronted significant challenges in the last year, namely rising raw material costs and weak consumer sentiment, I travelled to Cologne's ISM confectionery exhibition this week with trepidation.
2012 wasn't an easy one for the food industry as economic pressures put the squeeze on manufacturers and tight household budgets meant consumers weren't spending or indulging as much, forcing manufacturers to innovate with value propositions in order to boost profits.
With so much to contend with, I was expecting a rather cautious mood to be prevalent. The reality is rather different: I was pleasantly surprised at how ambitious and innovative the global confectionery industry has continued to be, despite the challenges it has faced.
Russia's United Confectioners and the UK's Eat Natural spoke to just-food about their export ambitions, while US giant Hershey told of its overseas ambitions and optimism for the future. Elsewhere, journalists crowded into the press centre to hear Barry Callebaut executives outline the "trends of tomorrow's chocolate market". The confectioner revealed what it believes are six main market trends it is looking to for innovation. Expect more on this in our news pages.
A packed day, but one that wasn't over yet. As the thousands of visitors streamed out of Koelnmesse, I headed to Happy Hour, courtesy of the Brazilian Association of Cacao, Chocolates and Candies Industry stand, where a cheeky cocktail rounded things off perfectly. With a tiring day two over, let us see what day three brings for the global confectionery market.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review