Blog: Confectioners strike upbeat note at ISM
Michelle Russell | 29 January 2013
For an industry that has confronted significant challenges in the last year, namely rising raw material costs and weak consumer sentiment, I travelled to Cologne's ISM confectionery exhibition this week with trepidation.
2012 wasn't an easy one for the food industry as economic pressures put the squeeze on manufacturers and tight household budgets meant consumers weren't spending or indulging as much, forcing manufacturers to innovate with value propositions in order to boost profits.
With so much to contend with, I was expecting a rather cautious mood to be prevalent. The reality is rather different: I was pleasantly surprised at how ambitious and innovative the global confectionery industry has continued to be, despite the challenges it has faced.
Russia's United Confectioners and the UK's Eat Natural spoke to just-food about their export ambitions, while US giant Hershey told of its overseas ambitions and optimism for the future. Elsewhere, journalists crowded into the press centre to hear Barry Callebaut executives outline the "trends of tomorrow's chocolate market". The confectioner revealed what it believes are six main market trends it is looking to for innovation. Expect more on this in our news pages.
A packed day, but one that wasn't over yet. As the thousands of visitors streamed out of Koelnmesse, I headed to Happy Hour, courtesy of the Brazilian Association of Cacao, Chocolates and Candies Industry stand, where a cheeky cocktail rounded things off perfectly. With a tiring day two over, let us see what day three brings for the global confectionery market.
just-food is downing tools for the public holiday in England and Wales on Monday 31 August. We'll be back at our desks on Tuesday 1 September....
Heinz's flagship product has provoked the ire of a competitor in Israel, a story that has attracted headlines in the international mainstream media. But even after making a change to the labels, a bot...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Nomad Foods H1 "in line with expectations"
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020