Blog: Confectioners strike upbeat note at ISM
Michelle Russell | 29 January 2013
For an industry that has confronted significant challenges in the last year, namely rising raw material costs and weak consumer sentiment, I travelled to Cologne's ISM confectionery exhibition this week with trepidation.
2012 wasn't an easy one for the food industry as economic pressures put the squeeze on manufacturers and tight household budgets meant consumers weren't spending or indulging as much, forcing manufacturers to innovate with value propositions in order to boost profits.
With so much to contend with, I was expecting a rather cautious mood to be prevalent. The reality is rather different: I was pleasantly surprised at how ambitious and innovative the global confectionery industry has continued to be, despite the challenges it has faced.
Russia's United Confectioners and the UK's Eat Natural spoke to just-food about their export ambitions, while US giant Hershey told of its overseas ambitions and optimism for the future. Elsewhere, journalists crowded into the press centre to hear Barry Callebaut executives outline the "trends of tomorrow's chocolate market". The confectioner revealed what it believes are six main market trends it is looking to for innovation. Expect more on this in our news pages.
A packed day, but one that wasn't over yet. As the thousands of visitors streamed out of Koelnmesse, I headed to Happy Hour, courtesy of the Brazilian Association of Cacao, Chocolates and Candies Industry stand, where a cheeky cocktail rounded things off perfectly. With a tiring day two over, let us see what day three brings for the global confectionery market.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review