Blog: Consumers, well, they're barbelling of course
Dean Best | 29 August 2008
Ever struggle to really define just how consumers are behaving? Ever look at consumer data and find it hard to draw water-tight conclusions about what is driving their spending?
Well, fear not – because we (well, Rabobank) have a new word for you that will help explain just why consumers are acting the way they are in this current economic climate.
Consumers, dear reader, are barbelling.
A quick consultation of the Oxford English Dictionary proved fruitless but, according to the researchers at Rabobank, the word describes just how consumers are behaving right now.
"This means consumers are gravitating toward one extreme or the other, whether it's a healthy lifestyle, convenience, price or something else,” Rabobank food and agribusiness research and advisory vice president Stephen Rannekleiv explains.
Something to impress the folks in marketing with, at least.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review