Blog: Cost control is something to be proud of
Dean Best | 26 August 2009
Waitrose has become the latest UK retailer to pledge its support for the country's farmers with news that it will stock "100% own-label British dairy".
Retailers like to show they are supporting their supply base and, here in the UK at least, programmes to support local suppliers goes down well with consumers.
Morrisons, for one, has made a big play out of its claim that all fresh beef, lamb, pork and poultry are 100% "British sourced".
Waitrose was no different with a spokesperson telling us today (26 August) that the retailer is "proud to commit to British farmers".
However, the spokesperson clammed up when we suggested that, with the weakness of the pound, there may have been a cost element to Waitrose's decision to rely less on imports.
Strange. Cost control is also something of which to be proud and, if Waitrose has managed to keep a lid on costs and help UK farmers, then well done. Pints of milk all round!
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review