Blog: Costco catches Oz by surprise
Dean Best | 13 March 2009
Australia's food retail market is renowned for being one of the most consolidated on the planet. But there is a new kid on the block: the Americans are coming.
US club retailer Costco is to open its first store in Australia in July – some five months ahead of schedule.
News that Costco will open the store in Melbourne came today (13 March) and was a welcome surprise amid the plethora of bad-news stories floating around at the moment.
Coscto is also looking for a suitable site in Sydney and, to herald its entry in Australia, has issued a promotional video – which you can see here.
Now, Australia's grocer market remains dominated by Woolworths Ltd and Coles but, in a market that has faced criticism for being closed to competition, consumers are sure to welcome the appearance of another retailer on the landscape.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review