Blog: Costco catches Oz by surprise
Dean Best | 13 March 2009
Australia's food retail market is renowned for being one of the most consolidated on the planet. But there is a new kid on the block: the Americans are coming.
US club retailer Costco is to open its first store in Australia in July – some five months ahead of schedule.
News that Costco will open the store in Melbourne came today (13 March) and was a welcome surprise amid the plethora of bad-news stories floating around at the moment.
Coscto is also looking for a suitable site in Sydney and, to herald its entry in Australia, has issued a promotional video – which you can see here.
Now, Australia's grocer market remains dominated by Woolworths Ltd and Coles but, in a market that has faced criticism for being closed to competition, consumers are sure to welcome the appearance of another retailer on the landscape.
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities