Blog: Costco catches Oz by surprise
Dean Best | 13 March 2009
Australia's food retail market is renowned for being one of the most consolidated on the planet. But there is a new kid on the block: the Americans are coming.
US club retailer Costco is to open its first store in Australia in July – some five months ahead of schedule.
News that Costco will open the store in Melbourne came today (13 March) and was a welcome surprise amid the plethora of bad-news stories floating around at the moment.
Coscto is also looking for a suitable site in Sydney and, to herald its entry in Australia, has issued a promotional video – which you can see here.
Now, Australia's grocer market remains dominated by Woolworths Ltd and Coles but, in a market that has faced criticism for being closed to competition, consumers are sure to welcome the appearance of another retailer on the landscape.
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020