Blog: Could 3D moulds offer cheap personalisation?
Katy Askew | 3 March 2015
3D design company Lehrmitt Design Studios is offering designs using 3D printing technologies that, it says, can add an "artist's touch" to assembly line chocolate.
US-based Lehrmitt is targeting chocolate manufacturers large and small with the new technique, which involves using 3D-printed positives to make moulds that would otherwise have been designed by hand.
"3D-printed chocolate designs look like they come from moulds that were painstakingly created by an artisan's hand," said owner Bob Lehrmitt. “We aren’t chocolate makers. What we do is design 3D-printed positives to make moulds so chocolate makers can create unlimited designs without having to carve the moulds by hand."
The technique could have a number of advantages – it is a cost-effective way of testing prototypes or lines with smaller production runs. Most significantly perhaps, it could enable confectioners to tap into growing expectations around personalisation in the sector.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Lactalis Nestle, the dairy joint venture formed between the two food groups in 2006, is expanding its Spanish product offering with the launch of Nestle Gold Crunchy Cream. ...
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review