Blog: Could thinking green reduce food costs?
Dean Best | 13 May 2008
just-food has travelled north of the border today to hear the latest on that most complex of current issues - sustainability.
Food manufacturers, retailers and government officials are in Edinburgh to discus how to make the supply chain more sustainable.
The event is being hosted by the Scottish branch of the Food and Drink Federation, which has been proactive in getting its manufacturing members to think more about the environment.
With the industry facing soaring costs, it would be easy to think that green issues could be sidelined. Manufacturers might believe that adopting greener working practices could add to an already mounting cost base.
However, rising costs and sustainability are two isues that are dovetailing like never before. Thinking and acting green can in fact help manufacturers reduce costs, be it more efficient distribution, reducing packaging or greater energy efficiency.
Neverthelesss, when facing such complex isues and wide-ranging challenges, a collaborative approach from industry is key.
The tricky bit is: how do you convince rival firms to roll up their sleeves and work together? It will be fascinating to hear the thoughts of those holed up in an Edinburgh hotel this morning.....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review