Blog: Counting the real cost of soaring food prices
Dean Best | 12 March 2008
The price of wheat has soared 130% in the past year and with a global population expected to top 9bn by the middle of the century, pressures on the world's resources such as land, water and oil show no sign of abating.
Yet it’s not just the price of wheat that has risen in the last year. Other staples such as corn and soya are trading at well above their 1990s averages, with an 87% rise in soya and a 31% increase in corn.
As we have discussed on these pages before, a large cause of this is the rising price of oil and fears over climate change which have seen a tremendous uptake in the use of maize to make bio-fuels, which in turn has pushed food prices right up.
There is little doubt that food inflation has become an emotive topic in the world's media and the subject has the potential to be hijacked by any number of interest groups. It's useful then to be able to fall back on some hard facts every now and then.
That's just what the BBC has done this week as part of its look at the subject and these tables - the link is below - are worth bookmarking.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report