Blog: Counting the real cost of soaring food prices
Dean Best | 12 March 2008
The price of wheat has soared 130% in the past year and with a global population expected to top 9bn by the middle of the century, pressures on the world's resources such as land, water and oil show no sign of abating.
Yet it’s not just the price of wheat that has risen in the last year. Other staples such as corn and soya are trading at well above their 1990s averages, with an 87% rise in soya and a 31% increase in corn.
As we have discussed on these pages before, a large cause of this is the rising price of oil and fears over climate change which have seen a tremendous uptake in the use of maize to make bio-fuels, which in turn has pushed food prices right up.
There is little doubt that food inflation has become an emotive topic in the world's media and the subject has the potential to be hijacked by any number of interest groups. It's useful then to be able to fall back on some hard facts every now and then.
That's just what the BBC has done this week as part of its look at the subject and these tables - the link is below - are worth bookmarking.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image