Blog: Dairy consolidation will happen - but between whom?
Dean Best | 7 September 2007
So yet more consolidation looks likely in the European dairy sector.
German dairy group Nordmilch is keen on teaming up with its peers, particularly in cheese. The company joins a lengthening list of dairy firms either seeking partnerships or those that have already jumped into bed together.
A couple of weeks ago, cheese producers Emmi and Ambrosi joined forces in France, where Sodiaal has also teamed up with Entremont Alliance and formed a cheese venture with Bongrain.
Dairy processors are joining forces in the wake of reform of the EU dairy sector – which has helped to push up prices – and rising dairy costs globally.
The dairy sector remains fragmented; according to Euromonitor, the world’s top 12 dairy companies account for just over a fifth of global retail milk sales.
Some industry watchers, including Tetra Pak CEO Dennis Jönsson, believe consolidation in the dairy sector will happen. The signs are it is already beginning to take shape.
Just where do you think dairy consolidation will happen? And who will be involved?
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020