Blog: Dairy consolidation will happen - but between whom?
Dean Best | 7 September 2007
So yet more consolidation looks likely in the European dairy sector.
German dairy group Nordmilch is keen on teaming up with its peers, particularly in cheese. The company joins a lengthening list of dairy firms either seeking partnerships or those that have already jumped into bed together.
A couple of weeks ago, cheese producers Emmi and Ambrosi joined forces in France, where Sodiaal has also teamed up with Entremont Alliance and formed a cheese venture with Bongrain.
Dairy processors are joining forces in the wake of reform of the EU dairy sector – which has helped to push up prices – and rising dairy costs globally.
The dairy sector remains fragmented; according to Euromonitor, the world’s top 12 dairy companies account for just over a fifth of global retail milk sales.
Some industry watchers, including Tetra Pak CEO Dennis Jönsson, believe consolidation in the dairy sector will happen. The signs are it is already beginning to take shape.
Just where do you think dairy consolidation will happen? And who will be involved?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review