Blog: Dairy farmers "not afraid" of sustainability challenges
Sam Webb | 18 October 2011
There have been a lot of worrying news reports about food security recently so it has been reassuring to hear positivity about what producers can do to help feed a rapidly growing population.
Key stakeholders in the dairy industry gathered in Parma, Italy, at the World Dairy Summit (WDS) over the weekend to discuss how to meet the nutritional demands of a growing middle class in emerging markets and a spike in the population of sub-Sahara Africa and other regions.
Wesley Judd, an Australian dairy farmer, said the challenges the industry faces in ramping up production are extensive, such as inefficiency in supply chains and fragile agricultural system, but they can be overcome.
He said: "We need to acknowledge we have the ability to change and not ever forget that, from a production point of view, we are able to overtake these issues."
Elsewhere at the WDS, Tetra Pak CEO Dennis Jonsson spoke about the challenges in developing markets and the challenges and opportunities presented by consolidation in the dairy sector.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review