Blog: Danone goes beyond digital marketing
Katy Askew | 20 February 2014
Starbucks JV will help Danone target 170m US consumers, French group's CEO said
Danone is hoping to reach out to US consumers and "educate" them on the merits of dairy through its joint venture with Starbucks, CEO Franck Riboud suggested today (20 February).
Speaking during a conference call to discuss the group's full-year results, Riboud insisted the tie-up, which was announced last summer, goes far beyond representing a "new channel" for Danone. Instead, he argued, it is a new way to interact with consumers.
"It is much more than a new channel. It is my Facebook, my Google. Why? Because every morning in the US, 170m consumers have had their breakfast and go into a Starbucks... and they will explain to them fresh dairy."
There is an almost subversive element to this approach, which goes beyond conventional and even digital marketing. Danone is feeding into established consumption patterns and altering them from within. A smart way to boost US yoghurt consumption, which still significantly trails European consumption levels.
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
Greenpeace's long-running campaign against UK tuna brand John West, owned by seafood giant Thai Union, is now directing its fire against Sainsbury's....
The Obama administration appears to have conceded the landmark Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal will not be pushed through in the lame-duck session of Congress before Donald Trump is inaugur...
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- ABF on Brexit, M&A and grocery - interview
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods