Blog: Danone goes beyond digital marketing
Katy Askew | 20 February 2014
Starbucks JV will help Danone target 170m US consumers, French group's CEO said
Danone is hoping to reach out to US consumers and "educate" them on the merits of dairy through its joint venture with Starbucks, CEO Franck Riboud suggested today (20 February).
Speaking during a conference call to discuss the group's full-year results, Riboud insisted the tie-up, which was announced last summer, goes far beyond representing a "new channel" for Danone. Instead, he argued, it is a new way to interact with consumers.
"It is much more than a new channel. It is my Facebook, my Google. Why? Because every morning in the US, 170m consumers have had their breakfast and go into a Starbucks... and they will explain to them fresh dairy."
There is an almost subversive element to this approach, which goes beyond conventional and even digital marketing. Danone is feeding into established consumption patterns and altering them from within. A smart way to boost US yoghurt consumption, which still significantly trails European consumption levels.
Yildiz Holding reportedly wants its snacks business to overtake Kellogg and become the world's second-largest snack manufacturer....
Nestle, Danone, Kerry Group and Tyson Foods are among the multinational consumer goods manufacturers presenting next week at the Consumer Analyst Group of Europe conference in London - of which just-f...
Food safety in Australia has rapidly become a politicised issue after two recent scares – involving berries packaged in China and, most recently, tuna canned in Thailand – have brought the safety of f...
- Analysis: Is Heinz, Kraft merger "a growth story"?
- McDonald's antibiotics move may be seminal moment
- M&A Watch: Who could be on 3G Capital's radar?
- Viewpoint: Faber-led Danone gets realistic
- Green Giant talk underlines pressure at Gen Mills
- UPDATE: Heinz, Kraft strike merger agreement
- Kraft "in buyout talks" with Heinz owner 3G
- Heinz to cut 71 jobs at UK plant
- Infographic: Heinz, Kraft unveil combined business
- Buffett: Kraft Heinz to withstand health focus