Blog: Danone goes beyond digital marketing
Katy Askew | 20 February 2014
Starbucks JV will help Danone target 170m US consumers, French group's CEO said
Danone is hoping to reach out to US consumers and "educate" them on the merits of dairy through its joint venture with Starbucks, CEO Franck Riboud suggested today (20 February).
Speaking during a conference call to discuss the group's full-year results, Riboud insisted the tie-up, which was announced last summer, goes far beyond representing a "new channel" for Danone. Instead, he argued, it is a new way to interact with consumers.
"It is much more than a new channel. It is my Facebook, my Google. Why? Because every morning in the US, 170m consumers have had their breakfast and go into a Starbucks... and they will explain to them fresh dairy."
There is an almost subversive element to this approach, which goes beyond conventional and even digital marketing. Danone is feeding into established consumption patterns and altering them from within. A smart way to boost US yoghurt consumption, which still significantly trails European consumption levels.
French politicians have passed legislation that bans large stores from throwing away unsold food in a bid to tackle waste....
The make-up of the ingredients in baby food in the US is under some scrutiny, with Campbell Soup Co. and Nestle attracting criticism from consumer watchdogs....
UK cash-and-carry and convenience retailer Booker Group has struck a deal to buy the Londis and Budgens symbol retail chains from Ireland's Musgrave Group - and emphasised the changing retail landscap...
US efforts to liberalise international trade faced something of a roller coaster ride this week, as the Senate first voted down Barack Obama's proposals only to reach a compromise that would give the ...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Food industry news of week: GMOs, Arla, Mondelez
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report