Blog: Danone goes beyond digital marketing
Katy Askew | 20 February 2014
Starbucks JV will help Danone target 170m US consumers, French group's CEO said
Danone is hoping to reach out to US consumers and "educate" them on the merits of dairy through its joint venture with Starbucks, CEO Franck Riboud suggested today (20 February).
Speaking during a conference call to discuss the group's full-year results, Riboud insisted the tie-up, which was announced last summer, goes far beyond representing a "new channel" for Danone. Instead, he argued, it is a new way to interact with consumers.
"It is much more than a new channel. It is my Facebook, my Google. Why? Because every morning in the US, 170m consumers have had their breakfast and go into a Starbucks... and they will explain to them fresh dairy."
There is an almost subversive element to this approach, which goes beyond conventional and even digital marketing. Danone is feeding into established consumption patterns and altering them from within. A smart way to boost US yoghurt consumption, which still significantly trails European consumption levels.
just-food is closed on Monday (29 August) for a public holiday but, while we down tools, catch up on some must-read insight and interviews....
General Mills is reportedly preparing long-time executive Jeff Harmening to succeed Ken Powell as CEO....
After starting the week with a surprise stock exchange announcement that hit its shares and called into questions its accounting practices, Hain Celestial could be set to receive a boost in the UK....
- Murray Goulburn's FY results - 7 things to learn
- Interview, part 1: Emmi CEO Urs Riedener
- Nestle on China, candy, nutrition - analysis
- Why Jet.com purchase could boost Wal-Mart online
- Brands and own-label do battle in western Europe
- Australia launches dairy sector probe
- Mondelez abandons Hershey pursuit
- Arla points to branded growth as group sales slide
- Samworth buys Euphorium bakery in UK
- Chobani expands into Mexico