Blog: Danone tight-lipped over Mead Johnson link rumours
Hannah Abdulla | 20 October 2014
Danone is reportedly interested in Mead Johnson
Some analysts might be breathing a sigh of relief at news Danone is rejecting speculation it is about to swoop for infant-formula giant, Mead Johnson.
According to sources, Reuters said an "internal strategic review" saw Mead Johnson top Danone's list of "preferred" acquisitions.
In reports since then however, Danone's group secretary, Laurent Sacchi, has said the matter was "absolutely not discussed" at the firm's board meeting on Friday 17 October. Neither was any decision made on what the priorities are in the group's external growth programme, nor is there any strategic review under way, the newswire said.
He did not however, comment on whether or not Danone was interested in Mead Johnson.
It's not the first time the two names have been used together in the same sentence. In summer this year, following the sale of its medical nutrition unit, analysts questioned whether Danone should use the cash to foot the takeover of Mead Johnson.
While the two's operations complement each other, there are concerns about how the move could benefit Danone.
MainFirst analyst Alain Oberhuber noted that Mead Johnson could only claim to enjoy small pockets of growth. "It has an attractive Chinese and South American infant formula business but it is less attractive in Europe and the USA," he said.
Kepler Cheuvreux analyst Jon Cox added he'd rather see the funds used in "bolt on deals" than "a big bang acquisition".
For now it appears Danone is trying to stay as tight-lipped as possible. The Danio-maker did not respond to just-food's requests for comment.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities