Blog: Danone's Oikos tops US NPD poll - and here's the top ten
Dean Best | 24 April 2013
Underling the buoyancy of the Greek yoghurt sector in the US, Danone's Oikos brand has topped a poll of the best-selling new products in the US - and here we list the top ten.
The French food giant saw sales of its Dannon Oikos line reach US$283.8m last year as demand for Greek yoghurt in the US continued to grow, IRI's New Product Pacesetters survey said.
IRI measures the best-selling launches each year. The poll looks at sales of products in their first year at grocery, drug, mass market retailers, dollar and club stores, plus, for the first time, Wal-Mart outlets.
The top ten new products are listed below. In at two, Starbucks' K-Cups coffee reinforced the popularity of single-serve coffee at home. Dean Foods' TruMoo chocolate milk was fourth; flavoured milk is a segment keenly eyed by dairy companies, particularly in mature markets, as they look for areas of growth.
At eight was General Mills' Nature Valley protein bars, which has tapped into demand for on-the-go snacks while also offering a health benefit.
ConAgra Foods' Orville Redenbacher popcorn brand also featured on the list and looked to offer even more convenience from a snack - by providing consumers with a bowl they could then throw away, without using their own.
Not sure it would make this correspondent rush to the popcorn shelf but, hey, some do want ultimate convenience.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review