Blog: Danone's Oikos tops US NPD poll - and here's the top ten
Dean Best | 24 April 2013
Underling the buoyancy of the Greek yoghurt sector in the US, Danone's Oikos brand has topped a poll of the best-selling new products in the US - and here we list the top ten.
The French food giant saw sales of its Dannon Oikos line reach US$283.8m last year as demand for Greek yoghurt in the US continued to grow, IRI's New Product Pacesetters survey said.
IRI measures the best-selling launches each year. The poll looks at sales of products in their first year at grocery, drug, mass market retailers, dollar and club stores, plus, for the first time, Wal-Mart outlets.
The top ten new products are listed below. In at two, Starbucks' K-Cups coffee reinforced the popularity of single-serve coffee at home. Dean Foods' TruMoo chocolate milk was fourth; flavoured milk is a segment keenly eyed by dairy companies, particularly in mature markets, as they look for areas of growth.
At eight was General Mills' Nature Valley protein bars, which has tapped into demand for on-the-go snacks while also offering a health benefit.
ConAgra Foods' Orville Redenbacher popcorn brand also featured on the list and looked to offer even more convenience from a snack - by providing consumers with a bowl they could then throw away, without using their own.
Not sure it would make this correspondent rush to the popcorn shelf but, hey, some do want ultimate convenience.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities