Blog: Day out in the City for Morrisons
Petah Marian | 9 September 2010
It's been a big day for Morrisons, with new CEO Dalton Philips impressing analysts in his City début.
The UK's fourth-largest retailer announced a raft of new initiatives alongside its strong H1 results, announcing plans to trial convenience stores and investigate moving online, as well as rationalising its range, experimenting with a number of instore productivity, range and layout improvements.
Philips also said that Morrisons incurs around GBP800m in indirect costs each year and that he plans to begin challenging spend in buying, particularly in costs around building, shelving and equipment.
And all of this is without even touching on Morrisons' position as the second-largest food manufacturer in the UK.
Philips' role at Canadian retailer Loblaw, with its well-regarded private label President's Choice, will inevitably mean that own-labels will become a focus.
I'll be exploring what the future looks like for Morrisons in more detail in tomorrow's Talking shop column
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review