Blog: Dean Foods completes sale of Morningstar Foods division
Michelle Russell | 4 January 2013
US dairy giant Dean Foods yesterday (3 January) confirmed the completion of the sale of its Morningstar Foods division to Saputo, a deal valued at US$1.45bn.
The acquisition by Saputo, which had been rumoured in November before being confirmed last month, will realise around $887m in proceeds for Dean Foods, which the company has said it will use to pay down debt and increase its financial flexibility.
The company had said it was considering the sale of the business, a producer of creams and cultured dairy products for foodservice and own-label firms, back in September. The unit was rumoured at the time to have mostly attracted interest from private-equity firms.
The news follows Dean Foods move to spin off part of its WhiteWave-Alpro business, a unit that manufactures brands including Alpro and Silk soy milk. The company had planned to raise up to $320m from the IPO, which was announced in August, but shares slid on their debut on the New York stock exchange in October.
The UK's Serious Fraud Office has launched an investigation into the GBP263m (US$424.6m) black hole in Tesco's accounts, the retailer confirmed today (29 October)....
A mobile app that claims to be the "most comprehensive food-rating database available" to US consumers has raised the hackles of the country's food manufacturers....
Just weeks after announcing a purchasing tie-up in France with local rival Systeme U, Auchan has outlined an international agreement with Germany's Metro Group....
Tesco has reported a massive 92% drop in first half profits as the accounting fiasco continues to widen....
- Why data is key to shopper satisfaction
- On the money: Spreads, ice cream top Unilever woes
- Interview: Premier sets sights overseas
- Short-termism decides Chiquita's future
- Sustainability Watch: Roberto Ciati, Barilla
- Glanbia chairman to step down
- General Mills to launch "Ancient Grains" Cheerios
- Hershey lowers FY sales, earnings forecasts
- Mondelez evaluating Oreo production in Morocco
- Hovis CEO Spooner leaves bread maker
- Supermarkets in China
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Pubs & Bars in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Consumer Trends Analysis: Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the Chinese Confectionery Food Market
- Kerry Group plc - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report