Blog: Dean Foods completes sale of Morningstar Foods division
Michelle Russell | 4 January 2013
US dairy giant Dean Foods yesterday (3 January) confirmed the completion of the sale of its Morningstar Foods division to Saputo, a deal valued at US$1.45bn.
The acquisition by Saputo, which had been rumoured in November before being confirmed last month, will realise around $887m in proceeds for Dean Foods, which the company has said it will use to pay down debt and increase its financial flexibility.
The company had said it was considering the sale of the business, a producer of creams and cultured dairy products for foodservice and own-label firms, back in September. The unit was rumoured at the time to have mostly attracted interest from private-equity firms.
The news follows Dean Foods move to spin off part of its WhiteWave-Alpro business, a unit that manufactures brands including Alpro and Silk soy milk. The company had planned to raise up to $320m from the IPO, which was announced in August, but shares slid on their debut on the New York stock exchange in October.
The make-up of the ingredients in baby food in the US is under some scrutiny, with Campbell Soup Co. and Nestle attracting criticism from consumer watchdogs....
UK cash-and-carry and convenience retailer Booker Group has struck a deal to buy the Londis and Budgens symbol retail chains from Ireland's Musgrave Group - and emphasised the changing retail landscap...
US efforts to liberalise international trade faced something of a roller coaster ride this week, as the Senate first voted down Barack Obama's proposals only to reach a compromise that would give the ...
Over the weekend, there were fresh claims Europe-based food retailers Ahold and Delhaize are in discussions to join forces....
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details