Blog: Dean Foods completes sale of Morningstar Foods division
Michelle Russell | 4 January 2013
US dairy giant Dean Foods yesterday (3 January) confirmed the completion of the sale of its Morningstar Foods division to Saputo, a deal valued at US$1.45bn.
The acquisition by Saputo, which had been rumoured in November before being confirmed last month, will realise around $887m in proceeds for Dean Foods, which the company has said it will use to pay down debt and increase its financial flexibility.
The company had said it was considering the sale of the business, a producer of creams and cultured dairy products for foodservice and own-label firms, back in September. The unit was rumoured at the time to have mostly attracted interest from private-equity firms.
The news follows Dean Foods move to spin off part of its WhiteWave-Alpro business, a unit that manufactures brands including Alpro and Silk soy milk. The company had planned to raise up to $320m from the IPO, which was announced in August, but shares slid on their debut on the New York stock exchange in October.
A year after union officials alleged Fyffes abused workers on plantations in Central America - and called on the produce giant to be kicked out of the Ethical Trading Initiative forum - the company is...
Much of the chatter about where 3G Capital could look next has centred on packaged food - but might the private-equity fund be about to extend its foodservice empire?...
Headlines that Mead Johnson's board has backed Reckitt Benckiser's takeover bid will no doubt overshadow the other news on the group this week – that it is facing a US lawsuit from a “whistle blower” ...
Kantar Worldpanel issued its monthly supermarket share data in the UK this morning - and the numbers showed a change in the identity of the country's top five food retailers....
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Will Kellogg's DSD exit help it grow in US snacks?
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Nestle plans restructuring as 2016 profit misses
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Kraft Heinz returns to organic growth, ups margins
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid