Blog: Dean Foods completes sale of Morningstar Foods division
Michelle Russell | 4 January 2013
US dairy giant Dean Foods yesterday (3 January) confirmed the completion of the sale of its Morningstar Foods division to Saputo, a deal valued at US$1.45bn.
The acquisition by Saputo, which had been rumoured in November before being confirmed last month, will realise around $887m in proceeds for Dean Foods, which the company has said it will use to pay down debt and increase its financial flexibility.
The company had said it was considering the sale of the business, a producer of creams and cultured dairy products for foodservice and own-label firms, back in September. The unit was rumoured at the time to have mostly attracted interest from private-equity firms.
The news follows Dean Foods move to spin off part of its WhiteWave-Alpro business, a unit that manufactures brands including Alpro and Silk soy milk. The company had planned to raise up to $320m from the IPO, which was announced in August, but shares slid on their debut on the New York stock exchange in October.
Five months after Cargill's rumoured interest to buy Archer Daniels Midland's cocoa and chocolate businesses came to nothing, the company today (2 September) announced a deal for part of the assets....
UK health leaders have called for an "emergency task force" to tackle the childhood obesity crisis in the country as, for the first time, they are faced with a generation of patients "who may predecea...
Tyson Foods has completed its US$8.55bn acquisition of Hillshire Brands, with shares in the Jimmy Dean sausage maker delisted before the market opened today (29 August) - and its CEO leaving the busin...
New Zealand dairy group Synlait Milk revealed today (28 August) it has hit the "major milestone" of receiving regulatory clearance to begin exporting finished product from its new NZ$28.5m dry blendin...
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- Comment: Competition to rise on whey investments
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- Valio lactose-free trucks stopped at Russia border
- Heinz halves sugar in ketchup launch
- Bisco Misr says Kellogg eyeing majority stake
- Olam sells Cote d'Ivoire dairy to FrieslandCampina
- Valio targets China with EUR70m whey inve
- China - ISA Country Report
- Other Dairy in Russia
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Food and Grocery Retailing, 2013-2018: Market Dynamics, Retail Trends and Competitive Landscape