Blog: Denmark's sat fat tax: could Finland and Sweden follow?
Dean Best | 18 May 2011
Confectioners, snack makers and dairy processors operating in Europe are likely to be aware of Denmark's plans to bring a tax on food high in saturated fat later this year. The Danish plans have proved controversial but could their Scandinavian neighbours follow their lead?
On our analysis pages this week, we have taken a detailed look at Denmark's tax, which is set to be introduced in the autumn.
The tax, which will be imposed on domestic and imported food, is charged at the rate of DKK13.50 (US$2.57) per kg of saturated fat.
Local food industry representatives have criticised the move, arguing, for example, that Danes would be likely to move across the border to Germany and Sweden to shop.
However, some of Denmark's neighbours have considered similar moves and there are signs that a saturated fat tax is on the agenda further north in Finland.
"As a country we need to do more to promote healthier foods and diets. What Denmark plans to do interests us," says Finland finance minister Jyrki Katainen. "During recent years Finland and Denmark have introduced taxes on sugared products such as soft drinks, ice cream and chocolate. A saturated fat tax is a logical next step."
Food manufacturers may not see such a move as logical - and the EU could intervene if it believes Denmark's plan is contrary to regulations on free trade.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review